What is the Canada - NWT Housing Benefit?
The Canada-NWT Housing Benefit (CNHB) is a funding program administered by the NWT Housing Corporation that began on April 1, 2021. CNHB provides a a benefit to assist with rental costs. This benefit is available to eligible applicants who are paying more than 30% of their gross income towards rent. This benefit is not available to homeowners at this time.
The CNHB pays a portion of the difference between 30% of the household’s income and the average market rent in the area, up to a maximum of $800/month for no longer than two years. Also, people receiving Income Assistance are not eligible for the CNHB.
The application process is only open to residents of the Northwest Territories.
Who is eligible?
The Canada-NWT Housing Benefit might be for you if you meet the following conditions:
- You have been an NWT resident for at least 12 months;
- You are renting in NWT and not receiving any other housing benefit or subsidy;
- You have an annual household income (combined income of all adults 19 or older who are living in the home) under the Affordable Housing Income Limits for your eligible unit size (based on the National Occupancy Standards);
- Have a social insurance number
CNHB is a non-taxable benefit, recipients will be issued a T5007 every year which is also reported to CRA, this benefit is counted towards total annual household income.
How do I apply?
Please note: If the CNHB is currently at capacity, work will be done to address this.
- Fill out the application form and complete all relevant sections.
- Attach the required documents to your application:
- Current lease agreement, signed
- Government issued picture ID for all persons 19 years old and older
- Social insurance number
- Submit the completed application to the NWT Housing Corporation any one of the following ways:
Northwest Territories Housing Corporation
P.O. Box 2100
After the Application
The NWT Housing Corporation will contact you directly to inform you if your application has been approved.
Once your application has been submitted, email or call the NWT Housing Corporation if you have questions about your application and benefit amount.
Phone: 1 844 698 4663