Canada-NWT Housing Benefit (CNHB)

See all Funding Programs


Rent subsidy is available to help with rental costs. This benefit is not available to homeowners, residents in public housing or people receiving income assistance at this time.


Available Funding

A monthly subsidy is provided to low-income households to assist with housing costs and can be used to help pay rent anywhere in the Northwest Territories (NWT). If your household is paying more than 30 percent of your gross income on rent, Canada-NWT Housing Benefit (CNHB) will provide you with funding.

The calculation is the difference between 30 percent of the household’s income and the average market rent in the area.

CNHB is a non-taxable benefit, recipients will be issued a T5007 every year which is also reported to CRA, this benefit is counted towards total annual household income.


The application is open year-round.


This funding is open to residents of the NWT who:

  • are paying more than 30 percent of their gross income toward rent
  • have been an NWT resident for at least 12 months;
  • are renting in NWT and not receiving any other housing benefit or subsidy;
  • have an annual household income (combined income of all adults 19 or older who are living in the home) under the Affordable Housing Income Limits for your eligible unit size (based on the National Occupancy Standards);
  • have a social insurance number
  • have less than $100,000 in assets;
  • file an annual Canadian Income Tax Return; and
  • have income from a qualifying source such as:
    • Employment;
    • Employment insurance;
    • Short-term worker's compensation;
    • Short-term disability;
    • Alimony payments;
    • Training allowance;
    • Old age security;
    • Guaranteed income supplement; or,
    • Pension income.

This benefit is not available to homeowners, residents in public housing or people receiving income assistance at this time.

How to Apply

  1. Fill out the application form and complete all relevant sections.
  2. Attach the required documents to your application:
  • Current lease agreement, signed
  • Government-issued picture ID for all persons 19 years old and older
  • Social insurance number
  1. Submit the completed application to Housing NWT in any one of the following ways:



Housing NWT

P.O. Box 2100

Yellowknife, NT 

X1A 2P6

Fax: 867-873-9426


You will be contacted if your application is approved. If your application is approved, all household income earners will be required to provide the following (except full-time students):

  1. Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment
  2. Social insurance numbers (only required if we are issuing tax forms )

Related Links


Housing NWT

5102-50 Ave.

Yellowknife, NT  X1A 2P6

General Inquiries