This program is for Public Housing clients with Housing Northwest Territories (NWT) living in a detached unit, able to pay operating and maintenance costs, and wish to become a homeowner
Applicants must successfully complete the pre-requisite courses offered through the STEP Program before entering into the forgivable loan agreement.
A forgivable loan is available to support the transition to homeownership.
For a home valued at $250,000 or less, it is a three (3) year loan agreement.
For a home valued at $250,001 - $500,000, it is a five (5) year loan agreement.
The Home Ownership funding is offered on a year-round basis to all communities.
This funding is open to residents of the NWT who:
- are over 19 years of age
- have lived in a Housing NWT-owned detached public housing unit for three years prior to applying.
- have consistent and steady income able to pay for all shelter costs,
- live in a community other than Hay River, Fort Smith, Fort Simpson, Norman Wells, Inuvik, and Yellowknife,
- are able to set up utility accounts in their name
- successfully complete the pre-requisite courses offered before entering into the forgivable loan agreement
This funding is NOT able to be provided to people who:
- Are on income assistance as a primary source of income
- Are in arrears with Housing NWT
- Have received previous homeownership program assistance within 10 years
The unit must be owned by Housing NWT on land that is able to have a mortgage applied.
How to Apply
To apply, you will need to contact your District Office by phone.
Client counselling is required at all stages during the application process. In addition to the education components, it is necessary to provide applicants with relevant information regarding the Homeownership Initiative Agreement and the responsibilities associated with being a client and a homeowner.
All applicants are required to complete an application form with a representative from Housing NWT or its designated agent. Applicants are not permitted to complete the application on their own.
- Policy Document - Homeownership Initiative
- Homeownership Initiative - Highlight Sheet
- District Office - Contact
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2P6