The Alfred Moses Memorial Scholarship and Tom Williams Memorial Scholarship are awarded to Northwest Territories (NWT) part-time and full-time post-secondary students enrolled in certificate, diploma, degree program or other approved training program related to housing to assist with costs associated with pursuing their education.
In memory of Alfred Moses, six scholarships of $1,000 each will be awarded to high school students entering into post-secondary education. And, in memory of Tom Williams, six scholarships of $1,000 each will be awarded to post-secondary students.
In total, there will be 12 scholarships awarded annually, two in each Housing NWT district (Beaufort-Delta, Nahendeh, North Slave, Sahtu, South Slave) including two in Yellowknife.
Full-time students can apply for $1,000 per school year.
The deadline for 2023 scholarship applications has closed, and scholarships have been awarded.
Information on the 2024 scholarship application period will be published in the Spring of 2024.
For the Alfred Moses Memorial Scholarship
- Students that have, or will be in the year of application, completed high school but not started post-secondary studies will be eligible for the Alfred Moses Memorial Scholarship.
For the Tom Williams Memorial Scholarship
- Students currently attending a post-secondary institution will be eligible for the Tom Williams Memorial Scholarship.
Common Eligibility Requirements
- Be an NWT resident.
- Be a part-time or full-time student attending an accredited post-secondary institution in-person or on online.
- Enrolled in a diploma or degree program in a housing-related field. This could range from a trade program like carpentry or plumbing, to formal programs in project management, communication, policy or finance. Applicants will be asked to write an essay to clearly link their program with how it relates to advancing housing solutions in the NWT.
How to apply
- Submit a completed application package for the Alfred Moses Memorial Scholarship or Tom Williams Memorial Scholarship that includes:
a. Application form
b. Proof of NWT residency
c. Confirmation of enrolment, such as an acceptance letter
d. Official transcript from the previous school year
e. Personal essay, or letter of intent, including:
i. Career plan and tentative timetable for the program;
ii. Why you wish to pursue a career in housing;
iii. How you expect this program to benefit you and your career goals;
iv. Why you should be selected as a recipient of one of these scholarships;
v. And any experience you have with housing through prior training, employment, or other activities.
- Submit your completed application before the deadline to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions about applying for a scholarship can be emailed to email@example.com.
Application Form (2023)