Funding is available for existing homeowners to replace above-ground fuel tanks to modernize their fuel tanks to current standards in order to prevent fuel leaks/spills and obtain insurance.
A one-time forgivable loan up to $15,000 is available.
If your income is over $59,999.00, you will be required to co-pay 10 percent of the repair costs.
Fuel Tank Replacement Initiative will be offered on a year-round basis to all communities.
This funding is open to residents of the NWT who:
- are over 19 years of age
- have lived in the NWT for three years
- have lived in their home for over a year
- own a home within municipal boundaries and have access to a continuous supply of electricity, potable water and heat
- own a home where there is a functional sewage containment system
- have a fuel tank in poor condition or not meeting current standards
- have a low-to-middle total household income that falls within the limits of the monthly income threshold for your community.
How to Apply
To apply, you will need to contact your District Office by phone.
Client counselling is required at all stages during the application process. It is necessary to provide applicants with relevant information including the Fuel Tank Replacement Initiative Agreement and homeowner responsibilities, including the importance of fuel tank maintenance and home insurance.
All applicants are required to complete an application form with a representative from Housing NWT or its designated agent.
Applicants are not permitted to complete the application on their own.
- Fuel Tank Replacement – Policy
- Fuel Tank Replacement - Highlight Sheet
- District Office - Contact
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2P6