Funding is available to NWT homeowners for preventative maintenance checks and minor servicing or repairs.
A forgivable loan of up to $5,000 per year is provided.
Eligible costs include the cost of materials, freight, labour, building permits, inspections, certificates, drawings, specifications, legal fees and any applicable taxes.
More than one repair application could be approved in the same year as long as the repairs were unrelated, and the annual total did not exceed $5,000.
No expenses (including labour and material purchased) incurred prior to program approval are eligible.
The application intake period is April 1 – October 31, annually.
Applicants will be notified within 60 days of the intake deadline.
This funding is open to residents of the NWT who:
- are over 19 years of age
- have lived in the NWT for three years
- have lived in their home for over a year
- own a home within municipal boundaries and have access to a continuous supply of electricity, potable water and heat
- own a home where there is a functional sewage containment system
- have a low-to-middle total household income that falls within the limits of the monthly income threshold for your community.
If an applicant has mortgage, land, lease or tax arrears, your District Office can answer questions on your eligibility.
How to Apply
To apply, you will need to contact your District Office by phone.
Client counselling is required at all stages during the application process. It is necessary to provide applicants with relevant information including the Preventative Home Maintenance Agreement and homeowner responsibilities, including the importance of home maintenance and home insurance.
All applicants are required to complete an application form with a representative from the Housing NWT or its designated agent.
Applicants are not permitted to complete the application on their own.
The Housing NWT District Technical Advisors will be responsible for coordinating the maintenance and minor repair projects, including the Scope of Work
- Preventative Maintenance – Policy
- Preventative Maintenance Program - Highlight Sheet
- District Office - Contact
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2P6